WBO orders Jermell Charlo defense vs. Tszyu

Boxing

Tim Tszyu is a step closer to a unified mega-fight with Jermell Charlo after the WBO ordered the American to defend his belt against the undefeated Australian.

Tszyu has been the WBO’s No.1 mandatory challenger at super-welterweight for more than a year, prompting the sanctioning body to intervene following Charlo’s victory over Brian Castano last month.

Also the holder of the WBC, IBF and WBA belts, Charlo’s win in California elevated the 32-year-old into boxing immortality as only the seventh man in history to claim four major straps in one division.

Now Tszyu has the chance to emulate his legendary father Kostya, who unified the light-welterweight division in 2001 with a second-round knockout of American Zab Judah in Las Vegas.

The Tszyu and Charlo camps have a deadline of June 20 to make the fight, proposed for August 28, or a purse bid will be held.

“The WBO World Championship Committee hereby orders the parties herein the commencement of negotiations for the above-mentioned WBO Jr. Middleweight Mandatory Championship Contest,” the WBO statement said.

“Please be advised that the parties have twenty (20) days upon receipt of this letter to reach an agreement.

“If an accord is not reached within the time frame set forth herein, a Purse Bid will be ordered pursuant to the WBO Regulations of World Championship Contests.

“The minimum acceptable bid for the WBO Jr. Middleweight Division is US$200,000 (AU$278,552). Any of the parties involved may request a purse bid procedure at any time during the negotiation process.

“Please do not hesitate to contact the WBO if you have any questions or concerns.”

Charlo 35-1-1 (19KO) is ranked among the top 10 pound-for-pound fighters in the world.

As well as his No.2 WBO ranking, Tszyu (21-0, 15KO) is also rated No.2 in the WBC and No.3 in the IBF.

Tszyu told AAP last month he would ask his promoters to set up any showdown with Charlo in the US, but it’s understood No Limit Boxing are trying to convince the 28-year-old to let them bring the fight to Australia.

Products You May Like

Articles You May Like

Batyr Akhmedov’s body shots help deliver an Argenis Mendez TKO
Teofimo Lopez won, but is he a threat at 140 pounds? Maybe not just yet
Fury vacates Ring heavyweight title
Serrano vs Mahfoud unification joins Joyce vs Parker on Sept. 24
Serrano faces Mahfoud in unification bout in UK

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.