Atif Oberlton Will Be Pushed Big in 2024, Says Marshall Kauffman

Boxing Scene

Atif Oberlton is on a path towards becoming a legit prospect at 175 pounds.

Oberlton made quick work of Cleotis Pendarvis on January 12, scoring a knockout win in round two at the LIVE Casino in his hometown of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.

The 25-year-old Oberlton improved to 9-0, 7 knockouts.

Standing approximately eight inches taller than the 5’7” Pendarvis, Oberlton walked down his opponent, also a southpaw, closing the distance and attempting to force Pendarvis to stand and trade in the pocket.

During the second round, Oberlton landed a short left uppercut that dropped Pendarvis to the canvas. Pendarvis barely got to his feet at the count of nine, but referee Dave Braslow waved the fight over at 1:26, saving Pendaris from being further punished.

The win over Pendarvis was Oberlton’s first fight since defeating Artem Brusov in a clash of unbeaten prospects on January 20 of last year. The fight aired on a ShoBox telecast.

Promoter Marshall Kauffman was impressed with Oberlton’s performance, stating Oberlton is one to continue watching, as he has not hit his ceiling as a fighter. 

“Atif has had a year off and he has been so hungry to show off his talent,” Kauffman told BoxingScene earlier this week. “He is, by far, one of the very best prospects in boxing today.

“I am looking forward to a bright year for Atif.”

In October 2022, Oberlton stopped Christian Thomas in the second round. Thomas was also unbeaten prior to facing Oberlton.

Pendarvis, who resides in Lancaster, California, falls to 22-20-2, 9 KOs. The 37-year-old lost to unbeaten Maidel Sando by unanimous decision in his previous fight on November 7. He has now lost 16 of his last 17 bouts, with the only win coming against Bastir Samir on August 19.

In junior featherweight action, Christian Carto, who also resides in Philadelphia, knocked out Ardin Diale (35-19-4, 17 KOs) of the Philippines in the second round.

Carto improved to 21-1, 14 KOs and has now won his four bouts since suffering his only loss at the hands of gatekeeper Victor Ruiz in February 2019. 

Francisco A. Salazar has written for BoxingScene since September 2012 and has covered boxing in Southern California and abroad since 2000. Francisco also covers boxing for the Ventura County (California) Star newspaper. He can be reached by email at [email protected] or on Twitter at FSalazarBoxing

Products You May Like

Articles You May Like

Junto Najatani and Vincent Astrolabio make weight; Kosei Tanaka-Jonathan Rodriguez called off
The best victories of Joe Joyce and Derek Chisora
Despite the Benavidez loss, ex-champ Oleksandr Gvozdyk plots a swift return
New British champion Brad Pauls stops Nathan Heaney in the 12th round
The Liam Paro story is just beginning

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *