Undefeated cruiserweight contender Richard Riakporhe is a eager to have a rematch with newly crowned WBO world champion Chris Billam-Smith.
Riakporhe was ringside on Saturday night at the Vitality Stadium in Bournemouth, to watch Billam-Smith capture the WBO title with an upset decision win over previously unbeaten Lawrence Okolie.
Billam-Smith dropped Okolie three times in the fight. Okolie was also penalized two points for excessive holding.
Back in 2019, Riakporhe secured a ten round split decision win over Billam-Smith – which is still the only defeat on his record.
Earlier this year, Riakporhe had few issues in wiping out former world champion Krzysztof Glowacki in four rounds.
He believes the stage is now set for a rematch with Billam-Smith.
“That’s big and that’s how we kind of envisioned the rematch, on that stage, at that level. And what better time? The time is now. Why not?” Riakporhe told Sky Sports. “So let’s just see how it all pans out. We’re going to have some meetings next week and we’re going to see what happens.
“I don’t want to take nothing away from CBS. CBS, you’ve done something amazing. You beat an undefeated champion and in that fashion, a few knockdowns and you won clearly. You have to give him respect or his due. I don’t want to come and rain down on the parade as well because it’s his night. But of course we want to let him enjoy that and then we can talk some business.”
Riakporhe believes that he’ll provide a much tougher test than Okolie.
“If anybody knows me they know I have much more to my game than Okolie anyway,” Riakporhe said. “I have good IQ now. I know what I’m doing. I have experience. He would have to deal with a lot more than just trying to take away my right hand.
“My last let’s say four fights, I’ve probably knocked them out with my left hand. So that’s something else that you need to think about.”
Riakporhe will likely have to wait on his shot, as Okolie has the option of exercising an immediate rematch clause.